Is learning a language strictly out of utility a bad idea?

I live in the United States, so obviously Spanish would technically be the most logical and useful language to focus on for me. I studied it in school for quite a few years, but only remember bits and pieces.

That being said, I have a much stronger passion for Italian and French. I think they're prettier and prefer the cultures. French I do find some use for it. I work in a hotel and I use it at work a fair amount due to having lots of French guests and have a few French co-workers. Italian, I don't have many people to talk to in. I have one co-worker who can speak it. On the other hand, half the people I work with seem to be able to speak Spanish.

I'm just having trouble trying to push myself to focus on Spanish right now, because I'm only viewing it as a case of "I live in the US so obviously I should learn it, but I really want to learn French and Italian more, even though Italian is probably useless."

One point I've seen some people make about Spanish in the US I thought was interesting. While Spanish is by far the 2nd most spoken language in the US, demand for learning it is probably not particularly high because so many people can speak it natively or close to it. I'm likely going to get passed over for a position where Spanish might be useful or desirable to someone who can speak really well already, and there are tons of people who can. So while it's spoken a lot in parts of the US, there are also so many people who can speak it I wouldn't really stand out by trying to learn it.

Have you all ever forced yourself to learn a language strictly because it was deemed useful where you live? Did it make you dislike the language? Is love of a language always the better way to go regardless of how much you get to use it?

submitted by /u/Enjolras55
[link] [comments]

from Salvete | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2QbMg6M
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments