I'm getting somewhere!

Posting on mobile phone etc.

I've been studying Mandarin for a year and a bit now but recently been feeling down about my general ability. However I've had quite the wee day of success!

Today I was bargaining well above the standard tourist level Mandarin and was bantering well with the stall owner. And just about half an hour ago (I'm still giddy with happiness) I decided to live my best gremlin life and go to 7/11 at 1 o'clock. I ended up having this 30 minute long conversation with a lovely Chinese lady about my home country, my university, my opinions on Chinese universities, the weather and basically anything that would come up in a regular conversation. I was so elated that I could express myself to this woman without too much difficulty and that I could understand pretty much everything she said to me.

It's been really difficult learning Mandarin as I didn't do languages at school other than to pass the necessary exam. To have this as my first proper language learning experience has been surreal and a real rollercoaster of ups and downs but having the occasional wee success makes it all worth it! She even said multiple times to me that for studying for a year and a bit my Chinese was pretty good!!!

It's an amazing feeling and I can't believe that I was that coherent at 1 o'clock in the morning, let alone in Chinese!

submitted by /u/MinorCarat
[link] [comments]

from Failte royd | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2Lzj1Ib
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments