How to get to the reasonably advanced level and keep it

So today, while doing my daily French practice, it suddenly hit me that despite knowing enough language to effortlessly read a lot of stuff that gets posted online, I still get about 20% when people eat away three out of five letters while speaking quickly. I still don’t get many things spoken on talk shows, though I can understand things spoken reasonably fast, but not at the speed people usually use for extremely informal speech. Same thing goes for slang: I know some of the words/expressions, but not nearly enough to pass as a fluent speaker.

It always gets me extremely annoyed, but today it got me thinking: is it even reasonable to expect to attain a fully conversational near-native level without living in the country for some time or being immersed in the media? I can speak fluent English thanks to the fact that I grew up with it, have English-speaking friends and my go-to media is in the language, but French is really an outlier in this sense to me... I guess I want to hear your opinions on how do you keep your third+ languages in check and actually working. For me this is still a difficult thing to do.

submitted by /u/mxkaj
[link] [comments]

from Failte royd | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/36catyL
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments