Which Greek Should I Learn?

I'm applying for a couple Masters' programs in History, and I need to learn some form of Greek for them, or at least, it would be a good idea. My idea program will be in Byzantine studies, but the only program that is close to my location and logistically practical is very, very selective. Plus, there are also a few Ancient/ Classical Greece programs that are also attractive to me. On top of that, I have about ten months before any of the programs begin where I have time to study Greek, and I have a lot of sources on Modern Greek. I already have Italian, Spanish, and a good bit of Latin. My question is: which should I study? Which of the three languages will best set me up for success with the others, should that be the way my graduate career goes? Should I study Modern Greek, because that will be the easiest for me to practice? Is Ancient Greek as related to Modern as Latin is to Italian? (Before I studied Latin I could decipher a lot because of Italian, especially once I spent a day or so learning the declensions. I could in no way write or communicate in it, though.) Where does Medieval Greek fit in? Part of me just wants to study that, since that's my dream program, but I only have one source for it, and no one to practice with. If I did study that and got into one of the other programs, would my studies in that language help me?

TL;DR -- Which Greek language will best set me up to learn other varieties, should that become necessary?

submitted by /u/bovisrex
[link] [comments]

from Vitaj | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2MYyti9
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments