Still don’t know how to listen in target language

I’ve put in hours and hours of work over months trying to listen to native speech and even after all that time I’ve seen nearly no improvement. Unless I pause and rewind the audio every few seconds or listen extremely closely, both of which are tedious, the words fly over my head and it’s hard for me to extract any meaning whatsoever. It’s like hearing a bunch of words I’m familiar with but unless I read the TL subtitles then it’s impossible for me to make sense out of any of them.

I think it’s because I haven’t found the right strategy. Should I use subtitles? Should I pause and listen in segments or just let the entire thing flow right into my ears? Should I sit back and try to enjoy it or actively analyze the audio to make sense of it? I’m still unclear.

submitted by /u/orangeinjustice
[link] [comments]

from Vitaj | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2JyaqVa
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments