Looking up words

So over the past few years I’ve found that looking up whatever words I don’t know has been an extremely helpful strategy. Usually I can make a guess, but it’s always a bit “off” from the real meaning, and who knows what could happen if you use that word incorrectly in real life. I’m also inclined to remember words a lot better when I make the effort to search them online instead of skimming over them to get the general meaning.

However having browsed this sub I’ve noticed people saying it’s actually better to learn from context and not rely on dictionaries. I can’t say I relate to this from my own experience, but if many people agree then I’m inclined to listen to them. Does looking up unknown words, whether in a text or movie, do more harm than good in the long run?

submitted by /u/orangeinjustice
[link] [comments]

from Vitaj | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/346DlYf
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments