Your opinion on watching TV shows with English audio and subtitles in the language you're learning (for beginners)?

I'm currently around A1-A2 in Dutch, but I'm a native English speaker and reached B1 in German several years ago so it feels fairly easy so far, which I know will change very quickly once I get to the more challenging grammar bits.

I've been trying to find Dutch dubbed shows on Netflix but as the Dutch learners on this sub will know, the Dutch hate dubbing. They usually just add Dutch subtitles but the original audiotrack remains in the original language.

The exception to this rule is Children's shows, like for ages 5-10. I've given those a shot with Audio & subtitles in Dutch but it's pretty gruelome to sit through 20 minutes of Dora, which usually become an hour due to me needing to translate a large amount of the words.

What I tried was watching content that actually interested me, with English audio, and subtitles in Dutch. Black mirror for example. The sentences usually aren't too complicated and the bonus is that you get like half of the words you didn't know and previously had to stop and translate simply by listening to the English audio simultaneously, so it's much less frustrating.

What do you guys think about this? I realize that by listening and reading, and often translating unknown words, I will gain much more in the long-run, but due to my newfound inability to watch Children's shows, I'm wondering if it could still be a viable plan until I reach A2-B1 level and can turn to content completely in Dutch.

submitted by /u/Fordlandia
[link] [comments]

from Selamat datang | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2UExE03
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments