Need some opinions on Vocab Splitter (a tool inspired by LingQ, LWT and Readlang).

Hi, all

I am thinking of changing the way how Vocab Splitter manage our vocabulary. But before making the change, I need some inputs to help me determine if that change is going to be good or bad:

Currently, the tool treats "fais", "fait", "faisons", " faites" as different words, although their lemma is the same ("faire"). So if we have already added "fais" to our vocabulary, and then later when we encounter the word "faisons" in a text, the tool will treat "faisons" as a different word from "fais" and mark it as "unknown" (red colour), and we have to add "faisons" to our vocabulary again.

I am thinking of changing the tool to make it add only lemmas of words to our vocabulary, and all words with the same lemma will be treated as the same word. For example, when we see "fais" and add it to our vocabulary, the tool will actually add its lemma "faire" to our vocabulary. And when we encounter "faisons" later, the tool will treat it as the same word as "faire", so that we don't need to add "faisons" to our vocabulary again.

I am not sure whether this is a good idea or not. I guess some people would like to treat "fais" and "faisons" as different words, but some may not like it.

I don't want to provide both ways in this tool, because that will make the tool more difficult for me to maintain. So I started this thread to collect some inputs to help me decide which way is better.

Thanks a lot!

submitted by /u/vocabsplitter
[link] [comments]

from Vitaj | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2mxAasE
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments