Learning multiple languages = Accepting declining skills in languages you already know?

I can understand how a person who was born and raised in a multilingual environment or currently lives in a multilingual environment can become fluent in multiple languages. I can also see how a person who study languages for a living can become fluent in multiple languages.

So my question concerns individuals who become polyglots as adults when they have normal adult responsibilities, such as working a full time job and taking care of their family.

For reference, my definition of fluency means being able to speak a language at a B2 level or higher. My definition of a polyglot is someone who speaks three or more foreign languages.

How exactly do you have time to study multiple languages without losing some of your fluency in those languages?

For me to get to a conversational level in French took about eight to nine months and it took a lot of hard work during that time period. I had a high intermediate level in Spanish and my level became noticeable worse since I devoted almost all the time I had set aside for learning a foreign language on French. My speaking had become worse and it took me longer to recall words. I have been studying French for about a year and nine months now and I still feel there is a lot I do not know or, at least, need to work on.

It seems like in order to become a polyglot, you have to accept that your level in the foreign languages you already know will decline, sometimes by a lot, because you have to focus your time learning whatever new language you want to learn. Is that correct?

submitted by /u/bravofortunate
[link] [comments]

from Vitaj | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2mNZJWg
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments