Alcohol, the Linguist's Wingman

So I've read other people experience the same thing, but even for someone who isn't as socially anxious as other people, I find that alcohol really makes conversations in another language so much easier. I go from worrying about every Russian case or French combination of être and avoir, to rambling on in that language intelligibly.

I'm not really sure why, but I feel it muddles the connection between thinking and speaking just enough to make your brain choose the most direct path instead of worrying about every rule. I sometimes even experience "foreigner moments" in which I can't remember something in my mother tongue, but know exactly what I need to convey in another language I know.

I'd love to hear anyone else who has the same experience and maybe even some scientific reason as to why this happens, aside from lowering social cognition (unless that really is the contributing factor).

submitted by /u/kilojuliettbravo
[link] [comments]

from Aloha | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2MiGYDp
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments