What’s formal foreign language education like where you live, and what do you think of it?

Hi. I’ve always wondered what foreign language classes are like in high school or university or what have you, as I personally have never ever taken a language class other than English (my mother tongue).

I get the impression it’s pretty subpar here in America, as I have heard many accounts of people taking 4 years in high school, then 2 more years in college, and coming out being maybe not even decently conversational.

I’m guilty myself of doing very well in a class, but then just never thinking of the information ever again and forgetting, so maybe it’s just that those people wanted good foreign language grades but didn’t actually care for acquiring the language?

I’ve heard of immersion-style classes, taught by native speakers, in which everything is communicated to the students in the target language, and no English is allowed. And that SOUNDS pretty cool and effective, but I can’t say from experience.

What do y’all think

submitted by /u/LibidoCornacopia
[link] [comments]

from Velkommen | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/30xf5xd
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments