Stranger asked me the time; chaos ensued

After years of study and speaking any language it's funny how a really basic interaction can totally humble you.

I have no problems in Spanish and these days speak it at a professional level, i.e. I use it at work (I'm a consultant and travel a lot, luckily to places where I get to practice various languages) with all kinds of people, from factory staff to executives. Not high accuracy stuff like translation or preparing legal documents, but I speak a LOT about regular work things in my field (startup operations) as well as talk socially with team members.

Except you wouldn't think I speak Spanish so well from this one interaction.

I was walking home from the market, where I had just had extended conversations about various delicious things, feeling happy, 20% because I love talking in other languages in markets, and 80% because I had incredible food in my bags.

A man crossed my path.

Man: something unintelligible

Me: Oh \***, this guy looks weird and bedraggled. Why am I looking at him? Stop looking, idiot! This is another one of those situations where you're looking and nobody else is because they're savvier! *keeps walking**

Man: SOMETHING UNINTELLIGIBLE

Me: Damn it he's still looking! "Lo siento" ("I'm sorry"). Keep walking!!

Man: "No quiero dinero! Quiero la hora! LA HORA!!!" ("I don't want money! I want the time! THE TIME")

He starts pointing at his wrist.

Me: Oh, he wants the time. (looks at watch). ... wait, this is ok, right? Is this a scam? Who asks the time?? Everyone knows the time!

... also, how do I tell the time? Nobody asks me the time. It's 10. Well, it's quarter to 10. Should I say 9:45? Argh, too many numbers, you'll screw it up!

Me: "Son los diez menos un cuarto"... damn it, it's LAS diez! Why did I say "los"? Rookie move!!

He looked vaguely confused (standard reaction when someone gets grammar slightly wrong) and we both kept going.

I don't really care — I have nothing to prove to randoms (or anyone) — but it's just hilarious how random situations can humble us!

submitted by /u/hooshd
[link] [comments]

from Velkommen | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/30tqmOU
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments