My girlfriend found out that her accent is holding her back professionally, how can I help.

My girlfriend is highly educated with 2 masters degrees, and is a low level executive at a young age here in the states. She was recently headhunted to apply for a position at another company in her field and after multiple "successful" interviews she didnt get the job, she found out later from a friend within the company that they loved her, but chose another candidate because they felt the position was too forward facing and that her thick accent might create issues.

I want to help, but I dont know how. She is very receptive to me correcting her spelling and pronunciation errors. We try reading time in the car when Im driving to help her practice. Through out the course of our day when she makes an error Ill try to stop her and well practice the word 4 or 5 times. As a native speaker sometimes I dont know the real definition of a word, Im just used to using it in context, so shell ask what something means and well stop and google it together.

Besides what Im doing, Im not sure what else I can do that will help. Are there any better practices..book? She has already taken intensive English classes, but has only been her 4 years. Her conversational English is perfectly fine to me, but she does struggle with making certain sounds . I hate to see her lose her accent because I think its adorable, but she truly feels like it is holding her back.

submitted by /u/HuGiEnormous
[link] [comments]

from Velkommen | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2P11zR8
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments