How do you deal with native language attrition?

I moved away to different English-speaking countries about 9 years ago, and since then I only ever spoke my mother tongue with my parents over the phone. The rest of the time I speak English only. I don't have any friends who are learning the language or are natives.

Although I can still speak it, I can't remember many words (the list is only getting longer) and the English equivalent is all I can recall. I talk to myself and think in English, and if I try to do otherwise, it just feels foreign. At my best, I end up mixing the two languages together (which is how I usually talk with my sister). When we text, we use the chat alphabet/Franco-Arabic.

I struggle a bit with reading, particularly Modern Standard Arabic, but I have no problems with my dialect, though to be fair, I always struggled with MSA. Overall though, I can still grasp the general idea behind a passage. Writing is perhaps what suffered the most. I get a lot of words wrong even if I can say them right, and my parents have to correct me all the time. I mix up similar sounding alphabets when I type, and sometimes I get the entire word wrong.

I guess the main problem is, I no longer feel comfortable around my native language, and it's the same feeling you get when you're trying to speak with a native of your target language, but you're lost for words all the time. I paid my parents a visit a couple of months ago, and when I went to the pharmacy one day, the pharmacist was surprised that I spoke almost fluent Arabic for a foreigner. He wasn't the only one to say a similar thing.

I'm learning Swedish now, and I'm worried that this will only expedite the attrition process. Anyone else dealt with something similar? If so, how did you handle it?

submitted by /u/goodatfalling
[link] [comments]

from Velkommen | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2MUzXKQ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments