English subtitles first, then turning them off and watching again?

I read old posts on here and consensus seems to be that your comfortable language's subtitles in the target language film hurt learning ability by distracting and/or creating a crutch.

As a beginner I have tried watching a Thai film with no aid. Sure, I can try to guess the meaning. I'd assume it'd be even better to know what was actually being said so that my mind can better synthesize words to meanings as the film plays out. So, I'd watch the film with subtitles on, then again with subtitles off. Maybe even alternating this a few times as there's a lot of content in a film.

I have also thought about having google translate open to have a rough (imperfect) translation of the English subtitles to Thai text to more closely pinpoint the specific words and their meanings.

Fluent In 3 months (blog) suggested doing something close to this. His suggested method was quite calculated, focusing on 5 to 10 minute segments at a time with the goal of maximizing understanding.

Has anyone attempted this method? How have your results been? If not good why do you think that was the case?

submitted by /u/javascript_dev
[link] [comments]

from Velkommen | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/31XUcLQ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments