Should I be studying differently?

Hi, so for a while I've been mulling over a comparative Russian literature program for graduate school. Been mucking about teaching English abroad and got tired of my procrastination in studying the language I want to learn.

In the past month I've:

  • Learned Cyrillic
  • Taken Russian grammar lessons on YouTube (daily)
  • Listened to Pimsleur lessons and transcribed the conversations (daily)
  • Written daily in a diary to practice vocabulary in context (daily)
  • Hired two Russian tutors to see each one twice a month
  • Booked a month-long trip to Russia in six months

After studying for four hours this morning (I'm between semesters - won't always be this productive), I met my tutor all gung-ho and ready to display this knowledge I've absorbed.

I couldn't remember a single thing to say. Was dismayed at how much I had to think about. Struggled a ton just to understand basic sentences they were speaking to me at normal speed.

Am I doing something wrong here? Not enough speaking practice? Expecting too much of myself too soon? Or not devoting enough energy to the right areas?

submitted by /u/razdrazhitelnyy
[link] [comments]

from خوش آمديد | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2Yytewf
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments