Learning a language in university vs. a language school?

Hi,

I'm an English and Criminology major in Australia who's planning to pursue law. I've always wanted to learn Japanese but never took the chance: my high school didn't offer it and my undergraduate degree is directly financed by my parents, who looked down on spending what they saw as exorbitant amounts of money on a hobby.

My initial plan was to learn Japanese outside of university through a local language school. This was to give me something fun and productive to do as an extracurricular, as well as mitigate the potential blowback if my grades dropped because I was unused to language learning. (I need to maintain a high average to get into the JD). If I liked learning Japanese enough, I was even considering spending a year in Japan doing TEFL before returning home to do postgraduate studies.

But, as my bachelors is ending, I'm looking back on my choices and wondering if it would have been worth it to take up the concurrent language diploma my university offers. (This would've added an extra year to my studies but was something I thought would be better spent doing TEFL, where I would be earning and learning on the go). Is my anxiety unfounded? Is there something the degree would have given me that I would not have gotten through outside study?

Any advice would be appreciated.

submitted by /u/sighphers
[link] [comments]

from خوش آمديد | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2yorLtG
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments