Is there any pattern as to which gender nouns have, across languages?

I’m a native English speaker, so whenever I learn a new language I’m slightly baffled by the genders of words. I want to ask “but WHY is that feminine?” and the answer is invariably “it just is”.

I was wondering though, is there any consistency across languages, either related ones (Germanic for example) or globally, as to what gender a certain noun might possess?

For example if ‘a table’ is feminine in French, what is the likelihood that it is also feminine in German, or in all European languages?

Any and all examples welcome, whether they are proving the existence of such a pattern or disputing it.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/bataleonboss
[link] [comments]

from ಸ್ವಾಗತ | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2umnGEo
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments