I have a language problem and I need some advice.

So here's my problem (wall of text incoming):

I've always liked languages. In fact, I'm fluent in three languages (German, Albanian, English) and know two more on a basic level (Spanish and Norwegian). Recently, as in last year, I've set myself a goal to become a Polyglot. Not because I want to show off or sell bad advice to people but because I travel and it annoys me not knowing the language since I'm missing out on understanding the respective cultures.

I started with Norwegian as my first language towards this goal. Getting through the early stages was a breeze, since the language is similar to German and English. I struggle once I get past the basic levels, as there is no structure for me past that. I've finished a text book but I find it hard to find something to keep me going.

Due to real life circumstances I had to focus on (state exams) I hardly found time to at least maintain the language. As a result, my Norwegian skills have deteriorated. I've tried to pick it back up by revising grammatical concepts from scratch but I always get bored out to death by revising stuff and can't follow through. How do you cope with this?

Since I really want to light up the passion and joy I've had while learning Norwegian I've alternatively thought about studying a new language from scratch and continuing with the others once I've reached a solid intermediate level. I am well aware that there's no way you can speak 5+ languages at CEFR C-Level proficiency but being intermediateish proficient at them is a reasonable goal imo.

There're a couple languages I've looked into for that particular cause:

  1. French --> incredible language, also possibly important for my future career. Language looks really hard though, especially compared to Spanish

  2. Serbocroatian --> Slavic language that seems to be the most accessible (Parents are from the Balkans)

I could also work on getting better at speaking Spanish, but I fear I'd face the same issue that I've had with Norwegian

What are your opinions on this? What advice do you have for me?

submitted by /u/Aalbi
[link] [comments]

from ಸ್ವಾಗತ | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2UOdFLH
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments