Theoretically Raising Kids in My Second Language

i'm young, and I don't plan on having kids for a long long time. However, I do know that I want to raise my future kid or kids bilingually or even trilingually if I can.

I am a native English speaker, and I have been learning Portuguese for a while now. My accent isn't perfect, and in 10ish years, I can't imagine that my Portuguese will be perfect.

Would it be bad to raise my future kid to speak Portuguese if I am not a native speaker? (Be it that, I make mistakes, or my accent isn't perfect)

I see stories of people raising kids bilingually all the time, but that's either because one of the parents is a native speaker, or they live in a community that speak that language.

Say my husband would speak English around them, and I would speak second-hand Portuguese to them, my fear would be teaching them a bastardized version of the language

submitted by /u/OiSouRy
[link] [comments]

from howaimbawai| Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2Gts4tp
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments