Should passive understanding feel like this?

Currently I'm learning German (both independently and at school) and am at a level I would consider mid-high-intermediate.

Passive understanding has always been weird for me mostly due to the fact that my brain used to like to translate everything word for word in my head. Thankfully I'm more or less past that phase and passive understanding seems to be working as everyone else explains it, understanding without actual effort.

Despite this whenever I actually listen to German videos or films it feels like I have brain fog and the meanings are muddy. I understand what's going on though it feels odd.

In Irish (the other language I speak) I can comprehend everything just fine, like if someone said something quicky to me I'd be able to answer back without much delay so I know what it should feel like it just doesn't feel that way in German.

It might be because I'm entering that 90% word comprehension bracket in language learning, which I read is actually the most frustrating time when learning a language since youre always going to want to know what that one word you didn't understand means (I think that's what the person I read that from was saying)

I just wanna know if anyone else feels this weird brain fog from listening to people speaking the language they're learning.

(Also : this isn't really there when I'm reading German, which I believe is from just being able to read at my own pace than being assaulted with fast words šŸ˜‚)

submitted by /u/ArtyOlek
[link] [comments]

from howaimbawai| Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2GjdiW0
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments