One of my students isn't making any progress

Hi everyone! I would like to get some advice. I am a private French tutor and I currently have a student who isn't making any progress. She is taking one 60 minute lesson per week with me. Since I believe that 1 hour of exposure to the target language per week is not enough to make good progress, I usually tell students who can't take more lessons to expose themselves to the language outside the class, by watching videos, listening to music, reading, etc. However, she never does any of these things. On top of that, she always cancels 1 or sometimes 2 lessons per month, so in the end she ends up practicing French for only 2-3 hours a month, which is definitely not enough.

I am not sure what to do and how (or if) to bring it up to her. On one hand I really don't want someone to spend their hard-earned money on me and get no result, but on the other hand I don't want to have to drop her because 1. I wouldn't even know how to do that without coming across as rude, and 2. She says she really likes our lessons so she would probably be very disappointed.

This is the first time I am facing such a situation so I would appreciate some suggestions. Thank you!

submitted by /u/jeremiah2395
[link] [comments]

from howaimbawai| Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2GKjPbM
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments