Learning a language "against my will"/"because I have to". Tips?

I am no stranger to learning languages and I have a lot of fun doing it, picking out languages that I enjoy and will use and then learning them, from my own initiative.

For the first time I can think of, I am going to "have to" learn a language that wouldn't be on my list/radar otherwise: Korean.

I understand that Korea has a rich and wonderful culture and history, which I have enjoyed learning about, in English. But I haven't had much interest in the language itself as I don't see myself travelling there often or meeting natives in my daily life/work.

But I am applying for a short time as an exchange student and while my classes are in English, I reckon I need to learn some Korean for my daily life (catching the bus, going to the supermarket, etc)

I've never felt "forced" to learn a language before. Luckily, my school subjets aligned with my interests and I feel stuck, like all the fun has been sucked out of language learning. Help?

I believe this feeling will improve once I go to Korea, because I will be using the language daily but I don't see much use for it once I go back home.

submitted by /u/gabilromariz
[link] [comments]

from howaimbawai| Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2GvdPUZ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments