At what point can you move on another language?

Hi all,

So after about 3 years of intensive studying, working and surrounding myself in China, I'm currently at the point where conversing is quite easy and comfortable, and feels quite natural. I can follow 90% of what's being said at work meetings, have no problems expressing myself, and in a completely Chinese environment encounter about 10 new words per day.. I've been dreaming and sleep-talking in the language too..

That being said, I'm still far from perfect (and never will be), I still rehearse my vocabulary and new words for about 40 minutes per day before work, and there's always some joke I won't understand. But I've made my peace with that. Being able to work in the language was my main goal. And I feel very close to achieving that.

My question is, at what point, (perhaps a measurable), would it be safe to start learning a next language? For the past year I've been super excited to 'finish' Chinese, start Spanish and move to Spain (while working in a Chinese team for 'safekeeping'). I'm just not sure when to start, or to maybe start doing both? Some basic studying at night as preparation? Is there anyone with experience in this, or any advice?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/dontudifrudi
[link] [comments]

from howaimbawai| Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2TTjeIy
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments