What language(s) should I study in university?

Hello. I’m not sure which language(s) to study in university. I know I can only make this decision for myself, but I guess I just wanted some opinions. If it helps, I plan to major in linguistics. I might transition to computational linguistics, but I’m not sure yet.

I’m from the US. I’ve studied Spanish since I was five. However, I didn’t learn how to conjugate verbs until I was twelve. I enrolled in a French course at school this year just for fun I guess.

I was adopted from Kazakhstan, so I have a strong interest in studying Kazakh and Russian. I know basic phrases in both languages. Both languages seem challenging though.

I also want to learn a language for career purposes. I was thinking maybe German. Is this useful for career purposes? It seems like Germany has a strong economy. I want to be able to work in more countries than just English-speaking countries.

I know Spanish is useful career-wise in the US because of the Spanish-speaking population, but I’m personally not interested in working in Spanish-speaking countries. Feel free to change my opinion on that.

Thank you :)

submitted by /u/tolkoya
[link] [comments]

from Тавтай морилогтун | Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2VGTj84
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments