How to retain vocabulary while reading native level books?

I’ve started reading Harry Potter in Korean and I’m somewhere around an intermediate level. I understand the grammar well enough for that not to be a concern but vocabulary is something that always overwhelms me.

There are so many words to learn and I’m curious what everyone does to maximize the benefit of reading native level materials. How do I retain all this vocabulary? I use Anki for things that I definitely need to remember in the future, but the amount of words I come across daily is too much to study all the time through flash cards.

What I am doing now is writing down each word in a notebook with the English translation next to it. I then usually read each paragraph again after I’ve looked up the dictionary definitions. Is this enough to get any real benefit? Or will the vocabulary just slip away?

What’s your advice for making the most out of reading?

submitted by /u/geomeunbyul
[link] [comments]

from ようこそ | Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2SaCqDP
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments