How do i learn Finnish properly?

I don't know very much finnish at all besides what we were taught in school like colour, the clock, asking for things and stuff like that, and swearing of course.

I live in Österbottnen, i don't know what it'd be in Finnish translated, but it is the area around Vasa, i live in Vörå, which is Vöyri or something along those lines in Finnish.

So yeah, i'm a bit confused, i don't know what i am, my parents and grandparents and grandgrandparents have lived in Finland their entire lives, all swedish speaking except my grandpa on dads side. I have lived in Finland my entire life too, only in Vöyri though. I just don't know what to answer when people ask online where i come from, i'd say Finland but then they might want me to speak Finnish or even worse THEY know Finnish and wants to talk in Finnish with me and i my Finnish is bad and they'll think i'm a hoax and a liar because i don't know Finnish.

I heard doing your military time in Dragsvik or some other place that gives you opportunity to learn Finnish to some degree. But as a person with Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder i have to take pills to function somewhat normally, so naturally i'm not allowed to do my time there, even though looked forward to it as a kid. Not a huge deal, but a blow to the self esteem regardless. I guess some kind of job where you interact with people would let you learn Finnish, but all jobs nowadays require some kind of education and prior experience, so it'd be hard to get hired on the grounds of wanting to learn Finnish, jobgivers are not charities after all, which is understandable too.

am i banned across reddit? my posts do not get any replies besides from green moderators in the sidebar.

submitted by /u/vasabo
[link] [comments]

from Merħba| Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2HNrqbM
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments