Can you become conversationally fluent (B2 or higher) without living in a country/region that speaks the language you’re learning?

I am studying Mandarin. I speak quite well after shadowing / repeating sentences a few dozen times, to the point where I sound semi fluent. But as soon as someone goes to an unfamiliar topic or adds too much vocab, I get lost. I’ve been self studying for 2 years and recently finished one academic year of Chinese in college. I honestly don’t know what level I’m at. Vocabulary wise, probably HSK2/A2 low. But in terms of comprehension/speech rate/tones/acquisition rate/general understanding of how the language works, I sit more around HSK3 or B1.

This is why it’s tricky to measure language learning with those linear methods.

I want to study abroad but I REALLY need to finish my associates degree first to do so. My degree is math heavy (computer science), and taking mandarin more than one semester set me behind academically in terms of my degree plan. I don’t regret it for one second though.

What would you recommend?

submitted by /u/anothercreativemind
[link] [comments]

from ようこそ | Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2AQcvrf
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments