Meet a Teacher Award winner: Angel Gaytan

Have you thought about applying to be the next Pearson English Global Teacher Award winner?

If you are wondering how to make your video stand out or are just having reservations about whether or not you should apply, read this inspiring advice from one of our 2018 award winners, Angel Gaytan.

—–angel gaytan

1. How has winning the Teacher Award changed your life?

Winning the Pearson teacher award has been a turning point in my life. I cannot really express how valuable these experiences are to me. I learned many things in my trip. Having the opportunity to discuss learning topics face to face with the authors of the books I used back home is one of the most enriching experiences of my life. I have gained more perspective about the world that surrounds me and the ELT field. Winning this award ignited me, filled me with motivation to continue doing what I do in the best possible way, and this, in turn, has caused a major impact in my professional life, too.

2. Have you felt more connected to the ELT community as a result of winning the Teacher Award?

I was not aware of the size and extension of this community until I was at IATEFL. There I could see that there are literally thousands of English teachers around the world, and that there are many ways in which we can get in touch with each other to share ideas and to keep learning. I could honestly say that I had never felt such a strong feeling of belonging until that moment.

3. How has your teaching changed since winning the award?

I love my job and everything it involves, and I have always felt this way about teaching, but somehow being recognized boosted this motivation inside me, and I think I have been able to transmit it to both students and teachers around me. When somebody is recognized, they are motivated to do things even better. That’s why I have been preparing more and more every day: taking training courses, looking through new material, learning how to implement new tools in the classroom. I now have a wider perspective of the ELT field, and I am aware, more than ever, that we should always keep learning from other teachers and keep up with the latest technologies. At the end of the day ‘who dares to teach must never cease to learn’.

4. What advice would you have for people who are hesitant to enter the Teacher Award competition?

You won’t believe it, but I wasn’t going to participate. I was too doubtful about it and I thought ‘this is a global competition, so what are the odds?’, but I made up my mind and submitted my entry two days before the closing date. Trust yourselves, believe in yourselves and do your best! Really. Who knows? You could be the one writing this piece of advice for teachers next year.

—–

We hope these words of encouragement and inspiration will motivate you to enter this year’s Teacher Award competition. Visit our website for the full Terms & Conditions and competition details.

Next year you could be the one writing about how your life has changed for the better since winning the Pearson English Global Teacher Award!

The post Meet a Teacher Award winner: Angel Gaytan appeared first on Resources for English Language Learners and Teachers | Pearson English.



from Resources for English Language Learners and Teachers | Pearson English https://ift.tt/2Gi1Nii
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments