Looking for an open discussion. All opinions are welcome: Is there a benefit to learning a second language if your day to day environment does not allow opportunity to use your second language?

Context for the situation: I'm definitely interested in learning a second language. I've consumed lots of media in Spanish, French, and even German (mainly because of my curiosity with my genetic ancestry). I find these languages to be beautiful and I would like the opportunity to meet more people using those languages. Here's the problem though: In my day to day environment, I'm in a small rural town in the United States in the state of Tennessee with the nearest major city being 75-100 miles away. Most of the people here speak broken English let alone another language. Lol. My question is, if the day to day environment does not allow opportunity to use a second language, is there a point in going through the hard work it takes to learn a second language? Because I would like to be able to use my skills if at all possible. If there is benefit, I'd like to ask what are some ways to use a second language in that type of environment?

submitted by /u/orion_weaver97
[link] [comments]

from Γειά σας | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2zVfTAC
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments