Which Eastern European language should you learn?

Hi there,

I am a Belgian teen which means I learn Dutch (duh), English, French, German and Spanish in school. These languages don't really interest me though (outside of German), and I would like to learn an Eastern-European (the broad term) language just for fun. It's a fun conversation topic if you know a few sentences in, say, Polish!

I really don't know which language to choose though. I am a big history buff, so I was initially very much interested in learning Serbian (the Yugoslav wars are quite interesting and I love the way the language sounds, I am also a fan of Roki Vulovic's music if you know him). But I don't know if Serbian would be the smartest choice for a balkan language? As in, maybe it's the hardest of them all to learn? I really don't know. It would also be great if learning one language allowed me to understand many others (Polish speakers understand some Serbian for example).

Polish also seems interesting though as there are a lot of Polish people on the internet (in my experience). Then there's the very famous Russian language, which would be very useful to understand (lots of people speak Russian online) and it would be easier to learn as there are a ton of online websites/video's for it but my main worry is the writing as, in my experience, almost every Russian uses the Russian alphabet (fewer people do this for languages like Serbian I think?) and I would like to use/learn the English alphabet only if possible.

So what are you thoughts on which language I should learn? I have no preference over any of them honestly as I don't have any friends/family from those countries. As mentioned earlier, the more (free) online resources there are for learning the language the better, as I'm not looking to become fluent. I'd love to hear why you speak one or multiple of these languages and what the pro's or cons are! Thanks in advance :)

submitted by /u/Rocto
[link] [comments]

from ansa| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2D1ou7o
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments