Is anyone else accent deaf in their target languages?

I'm having the worst time trying to differentiate between accents in French and Spanish, even though in English I'm able to hear even the slightest differences that can distinguish between NY boroughs or towns in Northern England.

The extremely different ones are easy, like accents from Quebec and Paris. But I can't detect any differences from within France itself. Same with Spanish. Some Castilian Spanish accents are easy thanks to ceceo, but I've been watching Narcos recently and even though the actors apparently use a variety of different accents not true to region, I honestly couldn't even tell. Just one big "Latin American accent" blur. I've only been able to tell which speakers belong to where thanks to select words they use (like cabrón and órale for Mexicans). Other than that, I'm deaf as a doorknob.

For those who have trouble with this, have you found a way to get better at distinguishing between them?

submitted by /u/Aurazai
[link] [comments]

from Γειά σας | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2KjsWzC
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments