How would you approach relearning a language you used to know?

When I was younger, I could speak Chinese because I grew up in that environment. Overtime, my parents just stopped speaking Chinese to me. And add that to the fact that I wasn't very good to begin with, the other students in my class would somewhat mock me for not speaking it well, piling on the pressure.

Eventually, English kind of dominated my brain over time and now I can only construct basic sentences in Chinese at best. My vocabulary is so shallow, I tried speaking it once to a shop owner, all I could do is stutter and say a word or two.

Needless to say, many awkward interventions have spawned from this handicap.

I really want to start relearning it in the future, but I really don't know where to start. I'd hear some words and go "Yeah I can totally understand that." And most words and sentences that make me go "The hell are y'all sayin'???", making the starting line quite a blur for me.

Anything would be useful. Thanks in advance, oh mighty linguistics gods. 🙏🙏🙏

submitted by /u/iRazor8
[link] [comments]

from Γειά σας | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2DvFtPk
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments