Girlfriend claims she attained fluent Japanese in 3 months

This is a strange post and not quite in the spirit of this sub, but I’ve been having a polyglot relationship problem. I’ve been dating a wonderful girl for the last few months and we have no issues besides that I think she is lying about her language learning past. We both live in Japan and speak multiple languages together. (Mostly Chinese English and Japanese) I’ve been studying Japanese for 3 years and I’m more or less at a business proficient level (Work for a Japanese agency). My girlfriend moved here 5 months ago from Australia and claims that she didn’t speak a lick of Japanese before moving here. She said she didn’t even know the difference between hiragana and katakana before moving here. However when I met her two months ago she already spoke better Japanese than me. She even landed a job here in a setting that required fluent Japanese. As someone that has dedicated years of my life to language learning this blows me away. I’ll be honest that I’m jealous of her gains but also I’m quite skeptical that it’s possible to reach such a high level proficiency in such a short amount of time. When I ask her how did you learn Japanese so quickly her response is always “I don’t know it just somehow know it, it’s natural to me”. This doesn’t register with me as I don’t believe I could wake up tomorrow and just suddenly speak fluent Uzbek.

Maybe I’m wrong, what does the language learning community think? Can you become fluent that quickly? Do some languages just come that naturally to people?

submitted by /u/MongolMuri
[link] [comments]

from Γειά σας | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2OVsf07
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments