Easiest way to evaluate proficiency in a language without taking the formal CEFR test?

For example, I have been studying German for a couple years. I am able to read historical texts pretty well but I struggle with novels at times(depending on the complexity) and I also struggle with complex texts, such as scientific/philosophical descriptions. I also have a hard time reading poetry.

In terms of in person communication, I can definitely introduce myself talk about myself. I can ask other people questions about themselves. I can express my wants and desires and I almost never resort to English. I have some fluency in expression but sometimes it takes me a second to think about case usage or certain verbal forms. I don't have to stop and think every sentence out before I say it but I can make mistakes if I try to flow to much.

I have some trouble with write complex things. For example, sometimes I try and read German folktales and summarize them, but I do have some trouble with rephrasing without just repeating. This is only true for short stories though, with longer ones I do better since I have more material to work with. I do make some grammatical mistakes, but rarely are they do to errors of understanding, I might have some awkward phrasing or I might forget a word.

In terms of listening, I can easily listen to native speakers and understand them though I do have trouble with very quick communication. Sometimes I can understand songs and sometimes I cannot it just depends on the clarity of speech and the subject matter. I more easily understand TV shows, I won't always understand all the words but I can infer from context and words I do know usually.

submitted by /u/Sterling9578
[link] [comments]

from Γειά σας | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2QtEQwq
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments