Auslan tips and resources?

Hi all,

I've recently gotten back into Auslan (Australian Sign Language) and was wondering if others had any good resources? I have made it a bit tricky on myself due to the simple fact that I am not in Australia at the moment (I am Australian, and I will be returning early next year; I'm only abroad temporarily).

I undertook an Auslan course a few years ago and developed enough of a skill to talk to a Deaf girl at my school, but unfortunately without practise I have lost most of it. Additionally, a lot of the resources (unlike with many spoken languages) are either sparse, in ASL or BSL, or hidden behind a paywall.

I am specifically after any good youtube channels where I can watch native users of the language. There are plenty of non-native users who upload videos, but I'm after ones that are fluent.

If people are reading this and are looking for some resources, I can share what I have found:

  • Asphyxia's online Auslan course is free and I am enjoying using it so far. She has a youtube channel if that's the way you prefer to watch videos xD
  • Obviously Signbank makes the list as a digital video dictionary. I have seen cautions regarding some of its content: it could be out of date or used in a region different to one's own. YMMV.
  • There are two (only two!) memrise courses for Auslan: one for letters and numbers (so, fingerspelling and counting only – and the numbers only seem to go to 10), and one for words, but there are only 48 words in it @_@

I have also downloaded the free RIDBC apps, but these are better as dictionaries than as language-learning tools.

If anyone has any resources that have helped them (and are not ASL or BSL), please share! Thank you :)

submitted by /u/Fruipit
[link] [comments]

from بڑبڑاشی | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2Cf4i1p
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments