Suddenly not struggling with learning Spanish

So I have been taking intro to Spanish classes forever. I got okay grades, usually due to the fact that I could do well on homework and memorize vocab. I took an intro course 7&8th grade, then beginning 1&2 my freshman and sophomore year of highschool. Getting ~Bs in all of these but never really feeling like I learned anything. I didn't feel like I could read or understand spoken Spanish. I took a break and took beginner 1&2 French junior and senior year(idk why) and had about the same experience.

Then I went to college and took a placement test and that placed me in intermediate 1 so I gave it a try and ended up with a low C, I didn't like it, I didn't understand anything, nothing "clicked". I ended up transferring colleges and took beginning 1&2 the first semester of my sophomore year. I passed both with As but like I mentioned before, it was mostly with my homework grades and my ability to memorize vocabulary my grammar grades were always terrible. I was finally glad to be done with Spanish and never had to take another class. Then this past summer, I decided I wanted to try to work on it again since I had a very laid back job. I used an app (Duolingo) and was working on very basic Spanish words like boy, girl, apple, and simple verbs.

Now I'm in my senior year of college and I dropped a course and my advisor said "you got As in beginner Spanish, you should do intermediate!" And I reluctantanly agreed, BUT it suddenly makes sense! I can read it pretty well, I can understand about half of spoken Spanish, I'm picking up the grammar pretty well and everything just makes sense!

The only thing I can think of that could've changed is my mental health I'm finally on the right medication and doing well. But I wasn't doing terrible mental health wise in highschool or my sophomore year. So I'm not entirely sure this is a reason, maybe contributing factor.

I thought typically, the older you got, the harder is got to learn a language. So why can I suddenly do it?!

submitted by /u/mafisob
[link] [comments]

from Yá'át'ééh | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2xM5XIq
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments