Learning language No2 without knowing intricacies of No1?

Ok, so I really want to learn German. I come at this as a native English speaker with no second language.

The kicker is that I moved the year of school where we learnt the rules about structures, I could not tell you what a noun, verb, conjunction, preposition, cases etc are. The old school taught it later and my new school assumed I knew it.

It hasn't been an issue, got through life to date fine, write academic papers, book chapters etc and don't feel burdened by the lack of knowledge.

So, long story short. Should I get a better grasp of my native language, or perhaps more correctly the rules of my language, or just dive right in?

TIA for advice :)

submitted by /u/ProofDot
[link] [comments]

from Yá'át'ééh | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2QlUxSJ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments