How I learned 3 languages

Hi there! Wanna share my experience in language learning.

Five years ago I was speaking only Russian (native).

Now I'm speaking Russian, English, French and Spanish. In all of them I'm ok to keep a conversation, look TV, read & write etc.

Here I want to write what could be very helpful for me before studying a language and making a lot of mistakes, but I hope it will help to some of you who is seeking for answers too:

  • first language learner's problem is stable motivation. it means that from day 1 till probably day 300-400 you need to be willing to study language, and do it everyday
  • 30-40 minutes of exercises per day is the best duration. In worst cases even 15-20 minutes is better than not to study at all
  • better not try to learn language to speak as a native. With 7000-8000 words in vocabulary and ability to connect them in a verbal conversation you can be considered "fluent", it can cover 98% of everyday blabla. Adequate goal - to be able to speak with a person like you on a language you both learned and don't feel a barrier between you
  • 6 months is a real goal to be fluent from level zero, however to be fluent in one year is a very good achievement
  • every next language is more easy to learn - you know yourself better and feel more comfortable learning. especially works in same language group (fr esp port it are pretty similar for example)
  • my most used ressources are:
  1. - books with parralel translation (to get used to grammar of target language)
  2. - Duolingo app (great for first 2-3 weeks because gives easy playing way to get the basics)
  3. - songs on target language with text translation to your native language (great way to study and have fun at the same time)
  4. - favorite series on target language (for me it was "Friends", useful because you already remember a lot of jokes so no need for translation)

Feel free to comment or to ask questions, I'll be happy to discuss!

submitted by /u/HackerRuso
[link] [comments]

from Yá'át'ééh | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2P0tmww
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments