Help with flip-flopping?

Hello all. Here is my story in a nutshell:

  • Took a trip to Germany and felt like I could really see myself moving there. Immediately began learning German and was having a lot of fun while learning.
  • After coming back to the states and being here for a while, the "shiny new toy" feeling about Europe/Germany faded away. I then re-evaluated if it was a good idea to continue learning German, since the potential for me actually dropping things in the USA and moving there was decreasing.
  • At this point, I was already having fun learning a language, so I decided to begin learning Japanese. This is due to the fact that even if I don't ever move to Japan, I still consume Japanese media (anime/manga), so it be more useful to me in the US than German will be, in theory.

My issue is that I am having trouble sticking with Japanese because sometimes I miss Europe and will want to flip-flop back to learning German. I also think about how much easier it would be to learn German than Japanese (since I wouldn't have to learn an entire new writing system). But I know that if I were to continue learning German, the draw of learning Japanese would surely demotivate me from learning German, and thus the cycle will repeat itself.

How can I break out of this cycle?

submitted by /u/Rachspininoff
[link] [comments]

from Nok aba ɗaw | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2wDSdyj
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments