German vs Ancient Greek for Reading?

I know the wiki says to only ask this question under specific circumstances, so I apologize if this instance does not meet the criteria. I am trying to decide between devoting more effort towards Ancient Greek (Homeric, in this specific case) vs German. I've already studied German in the past and would be considered at an intermediate level in a broad sense, but I am trying to focus primarily on my reading ability in either language, so I am not as concerned about verbal skills. For Ancient Greek, I like that idea that I can move from Homeric to Attic to Koine and in that process open up a wide avenue of texts to read, but German has the advantage that I already have a foundation to build off of for learning German, I would be learning a more modern German as opposed to the Greek I am interested in, and my favorite philosophers (Nietzsche, Marx, and Hegel) wrote in German.

Speaking of which, my long-term goal would be to understand whichever language I decide to focus on well enough to read (and potentially write) philosophical works in that chosen language, but of course I would start out trying to read much simple texts, and I love the idea of reading the Homeric epics (especially the Iliad) in Ancient Greek. I am not worried about how difficult it will be or how long it will take, and I've been able to find ample resources for both languages online and otherwise, so it isn't a matter of one being more available or easier than the other as far as I'm concerned.

submitted by /u/cdubose
[link] [comments]

from Nok aba ɗaw | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2NbOulL
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments