Contrasts between Punjabi and Hindi - for a beginner

Hey,

So I am trying to learn Punjabi because that's the language used by people from where my family originate from, the Punjab. I was born and have grown up in the UK, and everything I've done so far has been in English.

The current state of my Punjabi is that of a child (I'm 23 so it's pretty embarrassing). The thing is though, I know that Hindi is used a lot too. So I have to make the choice between a language that is used more frequently, and a language that is more aligned to my heritage.

When I was growing up, basically everyone that spoke Hindi could understand Punjabi and vice versa. So I came to the understanding that if I learn one, I can basically understand the other.

When I was looking into the differences between Punjabi and Hindi through Google searches, the main difference is mostly the written form that's different? Yes those differences are translated into the verbal differences, but as a beginner, they sound pretty similar. Other answers were saying that they are completely different. So the conflicts between answers are really annoying.

So basically what I am trying to get at is, what are the differences between Hindi and Punjabi? Because if there is only slight changes between written form (and currently unnoticeable differences in pronunciation), then what's the difference? Also, if I were to go to India, on holiday or something, which language would come in most useful?

Also, are there any free online resources that anyone knows of that's targeted specifically towards English speakers? Most of what I am finding is spoken in Punjabi and then some parts are spoken in English. Right now I am using a YouTube series for learning Gurmukhi in 5 days fast track, mainly to learn how to read and write in Punjabi, which I have to say has been pretty good so far (I've finished episode 2). Luckily for me, my understanding of Punjabi is adequate enough that I can make it through those lessons with a pretty good understanding of everything that is being said. But a more detailed explanation in English would be more advantageous when learning the basics at this point.

Also, can you recommend resources that are not intertwined so much with religion? I think the religious aspect associated with learning the language is primarily what discouraged me before, especially as a child. Also, I can understand the most obvious answer would be to ask my parents, however, their inputs over the years on how to learn it have been pretty dissuasive towards encouraging me to learn it, mostly because, apparently listening to them having conversations in Punjabi should translate to me somehow knowing what they're talking about without any actual reference to anything except a sound.

submitted by /u/1_Mehhh_1
[link] [comments]

from Yá'át'ééh | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2DEEZrW
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments