Help - mixing up French and Spanish

English native speaker here. I studied French formally throughout middle and high school. (I had actually started French in kindergarten but then moved to the US and had to take Spanish, which is when I began mixing the two up - I’d start counting in Spanish and upon reaching a number I didn’t know I’d switch to French, etc.) I tested out of French II and III in college so didn’t think it was worth it. Then I backpacked South and Central America, picking up Spanish by ear, but would always instinctively substitute French words for words I didn’t know in Spanish. A couple years later I spent six months in Switzerland speaking French. Then a year in Nicaragua learning Spanish again. Now I’m married to a Salvadoran man. I practice with him and want to be able to speak with his family. But now when I speak French I substitute Spanish words! I find it very difficult to switch between the two without mixing them up completely. Any advice?? I really want to progress in both languages, mainly speaking/listening Spanish and reading/writing both. I haven’t done any CEFR but estimate I’m an A2 in Spanish and B1 in French.

submitted by /u/stellatetorija
[link] [comments]

from Cześć | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2MdY1Jt
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments