Conflicted over whether to pursue Mandarin or Japanese first given career pursuits

I am entering university within the next few days, and will either have to pursue Chinese Studies or Japanese Studies (both involve learning the language). Personally, I have a great interest in the history and culture of both countries and hope to become proficient in both languages at some point in my life time. However, I am also weighing the logistics of studying one language over the other.

On one hand, I definitely want to pursue a career in the gaming industry from a business standpoint, and I feel like Japanese would prove to be most helpful in those pursuits at the time being. While the gaming market in China is large, I feel that Japan will continue to remain the epicenter for entertainment and media for a few decades to come given the current state of gaming in China (some restrictionary practices)

On the other hand, most people I have consulted have recommended that it makes the most sense to learn Mandarin first since it provides a better foundation to learn Japanese in the future given that the latter derives a portion of the language from Chinese characters

For anyone with experience with either or both languages, I would greatly appreciate advice on this matter. Thank you in advance!

submitted by /u/Sekamui
[link] [comments]

from sewayo | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2Pm77BO
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments