Stephen Krashen's comprehensible input(Natural acqusition) vs Lots of drilling

Okay, While I was watching some videos about language learning on youtube, I came upon the guy Stephen Krashen. He is a professor in the field of language acquisition. And he insists that language acquisition will happen naturally with lots of comprehensible input not tedious drilling(I know this could be very controversial...). I don't think anybody can say what's right or wrong, but at least as language learners, can you guys say some thoughts on this? which one do you think is more effective? Because as an adult language learner, we don't have all the time in the world and we have to use it very efficiently, I think that's the case of most learners in this subreddit too.

So main two questions are...

  1. How do you even have a comprehensible input when you don't know the words in the context?

  2. When I do reading and after that I write down some words on Anki that I don't understand, I feel like I'm learning something, but what Stephen Krashen said is not really measurable. So after I read through the book, I feel like I have learned nothing. What do you think about this?

I guess this could be very controversial, but I want to hear the thoughts about this. I went through some of the existing post about this, but I couldn't find what I wanted to hear so, here I'm asking again to you guys. Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/DaeguDude
[link] [comments]

from Cześć | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2K8lJAM
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments