Need help to begin practising actually speaking a new language.

Hey r/languagelearning.

I currently speak only English, but am moving to Sweden in a few months and as such have begun to teach myself Swedish recently. I've started off guiding myself into the process of learning a language for the first time using Duolingo.

However, though I'm making progress, I feel this is mostly in reading and writing, and I fear I'm falling further and further behind in actually being able to speak the language. I also fear I'm learning too much vocab at the expense of a solid foundation of how to actually speak and say relevant things. So I'm here for some advice.

What do you think would be the best way to begin properly practising speaking? How should I go about this, considering I'm still at a very basic level? Should I aim for a specific level of vocab or reading/writing proficiency before I start? I feel like I can actually say barely anything, as even though I recognise many words and can translate certain simple sentences to and from Swedish, whenever I try to think of something to say my mind just comes up completely blank. I know the best way to begin getting over this is to just do it, but I don't really know how.

Are there other things I could/should do to accelerate my language learning/acquisition? Particularly when it comes to learning to follow the flow of the language and understand it, I was considering trying to listen to Swedish radio sometimes or find a Swedish podcast to have on in the background. Would this help?

I'm very inexperienced in all this, so any and all advice/tips are welcome!

P.S - I'm a gamer who plays LoL/OW/PUBG. I was considering trying to find a Swedish/English speaker to play one of these games with and see if I could use that to begin practising; does that seem like a worthwhile idea, or would the type of speaking I'd learn playing games be poor practice?

submitted by /u/Elteras
[link] [comments]

from Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2LjCQnY
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments