Help: Example of a "Language Primer"?

I run a small non-profit dedicated to protecting / promoting my ethnic (dying) language: Circassian (Kabardian dialect).

My language is not well documented, which makes it hard for people to learn. (Only around 20% of ethnic Circassians speak the language.)

For the past several years, I've been compiling notes from primary sources and field efforts, and I have a pretty good overview of the language.

I'm in the final stages of cleaning everything up, and I'm struggling with how best to format / convey all of this information.

I'm also struggling with how deep to go into detail.

My work product is a bit more than a grammatical overview, but a bit less than a raw text book.

It's designed to explain how the language is structured, why it does some of the (crazy) things it does, and provide examples.

In my mind, it's kind of a Language Primer: It's a great introduction to the language.

If you're 100% new to the language, it explains what to expect if / when you start to learn. If you're already learning, it's a great reference manual to explain things, and if you're a teacher, it's a great overview about how to guide students through the language.

My question here: Can anyone point me towards a good example (in any language) or a published book that comes kind of close to what I am trying to do?

I'm just looking for a best-practice example to help clarify some issues in my mind about what my own final work product should look like.

Thanks, in advance.

submitted by /u/Aslanovich1864
[link] [comments]

from Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2mtobsq
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments