Advice on learning a second language: Cantonese

Hey everyone, this is my first post so please let me know if I've chosen the right place for this.

I've begun learning Cantonese as of three days ago to better interact with my wife's family. I've only ever spoken English so I'm wondering how I should best go about this endeavor?

The goal is to see how much I can learn in 5 months as I'll be seeing my wife's family for Christmas and I'd like to aim for a basic conversational level of fluency. Is it a bad thing to spend too much time learning daily or should i keep it to short bursts of 20 minutes a day? Any help as for starting off learning a new language would be appreciated as it seems very daunting and any tips for resources would be helpful as it seems Cantonese is a little lacking in that regard and most results I find lead me to Mandarin courses. Thanks for any input!

So far I've discovered the teach yourself course and have been starting with a word or phrase per day.

submitted by /u/Zazazing7
[link] [comments]

from Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2O6sh6u
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments