What's the best way to reacquire a rare heritage tongue that you can only understand but not speak or think in?

So my heritage tongue is Konkani, which is an Indo-Aryan language that was spoken in Goa originally though my ancestors then ended up in a town called Mangalore due to colonization from the Portuguese and Turkish and a bunch of weird stuff like that.

Point is; I can fluently understand almost all Konkani that I hear but I can't speak it.

Now, the thing is that Konkani is a very fractured language in many dialects and as a result of that I can't manage to find very many resources for it. I can literally string a few very basic sentences like "My name is ___" or "I am Indian" or something like that.

I want to learn the Konkani that my family speaks, it's also the most spoken kind but there are virtually zero resources for it - unlike Goan Konkani. Goa is often fetishized by the West and as a result there are a lot of learners of Goan Konkani and therefore some resources; yet there are hardly any for Mangalore-style Konkani.

However - I have the power of my brain, which seems to be able to identify if a sentence sounds grammatically off, and I could always make flashcards and write notes and whatnot to learn. So, with the help of my mom - who speaks Konkani as her first language - what would the best way to reacquire this language be?

I also have some language buddies I've found online that come from the same town I do originally, so they have the same mother tongue.

submitted by /u/RitikProductions
[link] [comments]

from Ontitokaaha | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2KElAGa
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments