Gives Polyglots a Bad Name

When I first heard this rant, one of my first thoughts was, "Now here's guy who's never studied a foreign language!"

Imagine my surprise when I read he's "fluent" in Spanish. According to his LinkedIn page he studied in Madrid. He claims professional working proficiency in Spanish and French, and elementary proficiency in Hebrew and Mandarin Chinese. The web site for his law office lists all four languages in the top right corner, implying he can work with customers in each of these languages.

This incident runs counter to my experience with people who speak or study multiple languages. Generally, they tend to be open and curious people, interested in learning more about other people & cultures, at least IME.

But of course, not everyone is going to be like that. Still, I was surprised. I'd expect a guy who studied in Spain to order his food in Spanish just to get some more practice in.

submitted by /u/JS1755
[link] [comments]

from Ontitokaaha | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2rYPD3q
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments